Examples of Success
Why reinvent the wheel when you can learn from the experiences of others?
The resources below provide a range of tourism business case studies relating to:
- Top actions for going green
- How to combine offering luxury with being ‘lean and green'
- The experience of achieving green certification
- How to adapt to extreme weather and climate change
- The opportunities of renewable energy
- How to network with fellow tourism businesses
- Green is Good (film)
This short film features a range of Somerset tourism businesses sharing their tips and practical experience of going green and how it has helped them save money as well the environment.
- Guilt Free Indulgence - Offering Indulgent Experiences that Don't Cost the Earth
Growing consumer concerns over the environment and a desire for indulgent experiences may appear to be at odds. This booklet shares how 12 businesses from around the South West have turned this challenge into an opportunity for success along with practical tips to follow in their footsteps.
- Celebrating Success - Business Case Studies from the Green Tourism Project
The award-winning businesses from the South Hams pilot of the Green Tourism Business Scheme (GTBS) share how participating in the certification scheme has made a difference to them and their customers.
- Changing Climate - Changing Business (film)
Information for Tourism Businesses Preparing for Climate Change
This short film features 11 South West tourism businesses that are taking action to adapt to the changes in weather patterns, such as more frequent flooding and drought events.
- 9 Reasons to be Green - Meet England's Sustainable Tourism Champions 2009
A booklet sharing the achievements of the winners of the Sustainable Tourism category of the 2009 Excellence Awards from each region in England. Each show, in their own way, that sustainable management can make a positive difference to your business, staff and clients. You can also watch short clips on how a beach cafe and self catering business are succeeding through sustainability.
- Switch on to Renewable Energy
New financial incentives for generating your own energy (and heat, from March 2011) have made the case for investing in renewable energy stronger than ever. This booklet shares the experience of South West tourism businesses who have already installed micro-generation, and provides practical guidance on considering it for your own business.
- Switch on to a Greener Outlook
Five South West tourism businesses share their experience of sourcing locally, saving energy and water, managing waste and generating renewable energy. The case studies are accompanied by some tips for following in their footsteps.
If you'd like to network with other tourism businesses there are a number of opportunities:
- Green Start - A key feature of this new national web tool is the opportunity to network with other tourism businesses.
- Coast - Although initially established as a support network for Cornwall it now brings together tourism businesses from further afield.
- Green Tourism Business Network - Businesses in Devon can receive regular news updates, attend the regular topic based workshops and contact one of the ‘Green Champions' for advice.
Save Money - Go Green, What do you need help with?
> Save Money Go Green home page
> Getting Started
> Cutting Energy and Water
> Communicating & Getting Customers Involved
> Examples of Success
> Further Support